Wednesday, March 24, 2010

All flared-up

Just a quick update to my earlier post. The past couple weeks my hips have been feeling AMAZING! Which is great, but I guess my immune system is pissed off about my fake hips. I have heard it is common after any major surgery, pregnancy, trauma to one's body, a person with Rheumatoid Arthritis can experience a pretty substantial "flare-up". A flare-up is when the disease is activated and attacks joints, causing swelling, pain, loss of range of motion. I guess since my immune system cannot attack my hips anymore, it had decided to take it out on my knees and elbows. Both of which are pretty swollen and at times I cannot completely straighten. It is difficult to walk and get around quickly, but truly this is nothing compared to my hip pain prior to surgery. It is more irritating than anything and I know this arthritis "flare-up" will pass, my knees and elbows will eventually return to their normal size and the pain will lessen. It is a small price to pay for new hips, I guess. Time to break out the ice, again!

Check out my sexy knees: (could not get a shoot of my elbows by myself)



and, yes, that is a Boston behind me.

Also, my follow-up surgery appointment we postponed until April 8th! Oh well, I am going to call to see if I can start swimming. Just being in a pool when I am all flared-up helps so much. Hopefully, this weekend I will have a date with the pool!

P.S. I am pumped, because tomorrow I get to see She & Him play at the El Rey Theater in my old neighborhood!! Many, many thanks to my friend and gym buddy, Georgina, for getting the hook up, since this show sold out before we could even think about getting tickets!!

Time for some more LOST,

Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Oh miss!! That looks painful, but I'm so glad that things with you are progressing well - do these flare ups typically last long? Do they effect your hands at all?

    You're in my thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyla! Arthritis flare-ups can last as short or long as they want. Mine usually last a couple weeks. And many times my hands are swollen/painful as well, but this time around they have managed to be aok, it's mainly just my knees and elbows!

    Thank you for the comment, TGIF!

    xo,

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete